Friday, February 4, 2011

Origines

In 1787, Archange Lauglois was born in French speaking Canada. She would later go on to marry Joseph Drouillard, and have a daughter named Elizabeth Drouillard.

Archange was my great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother.

It happens that census data is released as public record every one-hundred years, and recently the 1910 census data was made available. At some point recently, my mother took it upon herself to research her side of the family, above all, her dad's ancestry. And upon a closer look, it appears I am much, much more French/French-Canadian than I had originally thought.

My maternal grandfather's side is sprinkled with six generations of Lauglois, Drouillard, Girardin, Renaud, Fourtin, Bertrand, and Lucore. Needless to say, I was thrilled, and that's putting it lightly.

As my mother expressed to me via Skype while elaborating on our French ancestry, "I knew there had to be a reason why you were so drawn to the French language. It's in our blood!"

Currently we're hoping that she can find out where Archange Laugloise or Joseph Drouillard were born, or their parents at least, to see at what point our ancestors left France. My hope is that if we can get some names of the people who left the motherland that I might be able to do some cool research over here.

You know what my response to my Mom was?

"And all this time my 1/4 Mexican ass was thinking I didn't have a drop of French blood!
YESSSSSSSSSS!"

So yes. I am French and I am THRILLED.

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment